Monday, July 13, 2009

Speed Ladder

Today: 9 miles
Week: 9 miles
Workout: 4 miles on bridle path and reservoir, 1 mile YMCA to West Side Hwy bike path, intervals of 1200, 1000, 800, 600, 400, and 200 meters with 2 blocks jog in between each. 1 mile cool down back to YMCA.

16 weeks until the NYC Marathon!

The 4 miles I did before the speed ladder made a huge difference. I was warmed up and ready to go on the first interval. Usually I'm trying to get warmed up on the first interval, and it's always my slowest. The distances of each interval were only approximations. We had to judge the distance using blocks, using the scale of 20 blocks = 1 mile. Before we head out on the run, we tried to go over how many blocks each interval would be. For example, our first interval was supposed to begin on 59th Street and end at 44th Street. Then, we were supposed to jog to 42nd Street. Some people wrote the streets on their arms.

I thought I had memorized where we were supposed to begin and end each interval. However, I missed the end of one of the intervals because I didn't see the street sign and ran one block too far. These were my times for each interval: 1200 (4:20), 1000 (3:22), 800 (3:06), 600 (1:42), 400 (1:19), 200 (0:46). The rest between each interval was about a minute. I think the 800 was the one where I ran a block too far. Anyway, it was a really good workout. I probably would not have run as fast as I did if I hadn't been chasing Bruno for most of the workout.

After everyone finished the intervals, we were all resting and Stacy described this new plank workout she has been using. I thought she was just sharing it. But we ended up DOING the workout on the grass! There's nothing like doing planks after a hard interval workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment