Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Getting Drenched in Central Park

Today: 8.5 miles
Week: 26 miles
Workout: 3.5 miles from the West Side YMCA, around the lower loop of Central Park, and cutting across to West Drive via the Great Lawn, then 5 miles with WSY up the west side, around the top of the reservoir, down the east side, then meandering all through the park's pedestrian paths, and finally ending up back at the YMCA.

I can't believe the thermometer only read 69 degrees for my 3.5 mile warm up! The humidity had to be about 99%. And then, in the 15 minutes after my 3.5 mile warm up and beginning my run with WSY, the humidity went to 100%. The rain began coming down in buckets. I was completely soaked walking from the front of the YMCA to the corner. We were supposed to do a tempo run around the reservoir but changed our plans because of the torrential downpour. I didn't mind the rain, but the lightning made me a little nervous.

The bridle path around the reservoir was surprisingly OK to run on. After getting to the east side, we spent most of the run on the walking paths in and around the Great Lawn, Belvedere Castle, Bethesda Fountain, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment