Monday, July 6, 2009

800 Meter Intervals

Today: 8 miles
Week: 8 miles
Workout: 4 miles from West Side Y, around lower loop of Central Park to Engineer's Gate, bottom of reservoir back to West Drive, to the Y. 1 mile with WSYRRC from Y, around lower loop to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. 4 x 800m. 1 mile cool down

17 Weeks until the NYC Marathon

The 800s were on East Drive from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, running north to near the end of the northern part of the reservoir. The first "800" was actually too long. Mine was done in 3:20.

My next three 800s were done in 2:44, 2:48, and 2:45. My rest in between all of the intervals was 4:07, 2:48, and 3:37. (The rest was supposed to be 2:00) It was a tough workout. I felt good on my second one, but on the 3rd and 4th ones, I struggled. It was one of those workouts where I was expending so much energy that I was having a difficult time staying relaxed and maintaining my form. I was hoping that runners coming the other way would move out of my way because I didn't have the energy to move out of THEIR way. I felt that, at any moment, I was going to quit. But my legs and arms just kept pumping away and wouldn't let me stop.

After the last 800, I had to hold onto a fence to remain standing and catch my breath. I was bent at the waist, and when I raised myself upright, I felt all of Central Park swirl around me for a second. I felt wobbly and had trouble focusing on people's faces. The feeling lasted the rest of the night. Gotta love interval training!

When we were done with the 800s, Denie, Greg, and I went with Farbod to do some pull-ups. I could only managed a set and barely managed to jog the mile back to the Y.

Stacy unveiled her marathon training program today. It's nice the way all the workouts are laid out for us, and how it figures out your pace for each workout.


No comments:

Post a Comment