Wednesday, August 19, 2009

86 Degrees and #%*! Humidity

West Drive in Central Park
West Drive in Central Park

Today: 14.5 miles
Week: 29 miles
Workout: 63rd Street - Central Park Bridle path with an extra loop - back to West Side Y. Then 5-mile loop.

Last night I got stuck in a diner while a severe thunderstorm was passing through. The windows of the diner were rattling. I didn't think much of it until I went out on my run today. There were downed trees in the 90s on both sides of Central Park all the way to the northern edge of the park. Some of the trees that had been uprooted were huge. It looked like a tornado had passed through Manhattan. It was clear that some of the trees had fallen across the bridle path but had already been cut up. One tree had fallen onto the 102nd Street Transverse. I hope no one was out running in the park last night.

I had intended on going at least 18 miles today, but I gave up that plan after the 2nd mile. Not only was the humidity stifling, I had only eaten a bagel, coffee, and GU all day. By the time I reached the 13th mile, I was so weak that I had to walk. Fortunately, I was at the top of Cat Hill and a food cart was there. I bought a strawberry fruit bar and it worked wonders. It gave me a jolt of energy, and I made it back to the Y without a problem. Of course, I was still the last one to finish the workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment