Monday, June 8, 2009

West Side Hwy

Today: 9 1/2 miles
Week: 9 1/2 miles
21 Weeks Until the NYC Marathon

OK. I'm a little shocked at the moment. Imagine my surprise when I saw that there were actually people who signed up to follow this blog! Suddenly, I feel a little pressure to make the blog mildly entertaining. Obviously, just blogging about my workouts is not going to be enough. I'm going to rely heavily on my fellow running club members for their witty conversations and suggestions for this blog.

Upon meeting everyone at the Y, one of the first things Stacy announced was that there would be a change in the Wednesday workout. We would not be doing mile repeats on Wednesday because of the Corporate Challenge. Yes!!! (I mean...DAMN! I was sooooo looking forward to that workout.)

Today's workout: run to the bike (oops, I mean running) path along the West Side Hwy, run 30 minutes downtown, turn around, and come back. It seemed simple enough before I started. I didn't want to run too hard because I intend to run the 1500 meter race at Randall's Island tomorrow. I figured I would settle into a comfortable pace. Bruno and Farbod were running a little too quick for me, so I ran solo. After turning around and heading back, I felt good and picked up the pace. Despite my best intentions, I ended up running a little too fast. Oh well. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Maybe it was the humidity or something else, but my legs felt drained after the run. Although, I don't think I felt as bad as Farbod who seemed to be limping a little and Denie who was complaining about his left buttocks. (Don't ask me about it. I only report what I hear.) Erika wasn't injured, but she shared her freakish shin muscle and her "tennis" muscle with us.

After everyone had finished with the run, Stacy decided that we would do some repeats around the baseball fields on Wednesday. Then, we will be going to the Boat Basin for a little relaxation AND to celebrate David's birthday!

In case you haven't seen Farbod's video of the Mini 10K on YouTube, what are you waiting for?! Check it out! I'm sure Farbod is a great doctor, but I think he has a future as a photographer or videographer.

7 comments:

  1. so, what is exactly the plan for wed?!? im gonna try and get enough studying done to come then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the plan for the workout is 3 sets of 1000 meter repeats around the baseball fields in Central Park. The ones right by the YMCA. Then we'll head to the Boat Basin for drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if i make it, drinks will NOT be in the plan for me unfortunately; last test of first yr of med school thurs am! : ( oh ps i have a blog, too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Good luck on that test! Has every med school student seen the movie "Gross Anatomy"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i haven't seen "gross anatomy" so I guess that's a no! but, i did smell like dead bodies for four months while i took gross anatomy....no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll loan you the DVD. I took gross anatomy for a couple of weeks and promptly dropped out of college, not because of the anatomy class. I loved the class. I still remember my professor telling us on the first day of class that we would be working with cadavers and that we would all have at least one nightmare about them. "HA!" I thought to myself. But, sure enough, I had one. In my defense, all my friends had their nightmares before I had mine.

    ReplyDelete