Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thursday Night at the Races

Today: 3 miles
Week: 17 miles
Workout: 1/2 mile warm up, 3000 meter race at the Armory's indoor track, 1 mile cool down.

I wasn't sure what to expect in the race. I haven't run a 3000 or 2-mile race in years. They were organizing heats for the race. The guy in charge of heats was calling for 10:41 - 10:50 runners. I didn't think I could run that fast, so I ended up in the "slowest" heat. I figured I would run about 11:00. I tried to stick to a pace of about 88 seconds per quarter mile. I went through the mile in 5:46 - 5:48. I think I was right on pace for the first 9 laps or so. (It's a 200 meter track, so there were 15 laps for my race.) I found myself in third place, right on the heels of the second place guy. I couldn't even see the first place dude and was worried he was going to lap me.

Since I don't have much of a finishing kick, I decided to pass the guy in front of me and put some distance between us just in case he had a kick. The air is very dry in the Armory, and I felt as if I was swallowing sandpaper with each breath on the last two laps. I finished in an unofficial 10:43. I was pleased. I'm looking forward to the next race at the Armory, in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment