Monday, August 27, 2012

Percy Sutton Harlem 5K

My NYRR bib has shown a pace of 5:55 on it since 2009.  The last time I ran a 5K race or longer with a pace under 5:55/mile was in 2002.  That finally changed this past Saturday.  It helped that the course wasn't nearly as hilly as the course for the Coogan's 5K.  I was actually hoping to run under 18:00.  However, the humidity and my position in the corral probably hurt my chances.  Still, it was a satisfying race.

My splits were 5:57, 5:51, 5:43.  I had a mental letdown in the last 1/2 mile.  I thought I saw the finish line, but it was actually just a blue sign that said "Harlem."  I hadn't even reached the 3-mile marker.  Once I realized my mistake, I couldn't pick up the pace again and just cruised across the finish line about 30 seconds later.  The results of this race makes me want to train for shorter races and race on a flat course.  I'd really love to do the Carlsbad 5000 in San Diego but will probably have to wait until 2014.  I can just feel the fast twitch muscle fibers in my legs slowly deteriorating.  

The WSY men's team did great, 10th place overall (2nd in the Open B division) and 8th in the Masters division.  

1 comment: