Sunday, November 7, 2010

NYC Marathon

WSY Finishers

Today: 26.2 miles
Week: 50 miles
Workout: Start in Staten Island - Brooklyn - Queens - Manhattan - Bronx - back into Manhattan - finish at Tavern on the Green in Central Park.

I woke up at 3:00 a.m., ate a small breakfast, and was out the door at 4:00 a.m. The 1 train was only running to Chambers Street, so I had to hop on a shuttle bus. I missed my scheduled 5:30 Staten Island Ferry. That turned out to be a good thing. I was able to stay inside the ferry terminal for 20 minutes and remain warm. Got off the ferry and got on another bus to the start area. I met up with Denie and Alanna. We grabbed bagels. I was starving. Megan arrived. We talked a bit. Then I head to my starting village. The Green Start Village.

I got in the portable toilet line. It wasn't much of a wait. The area was crowded. I got my bag organized and went looking for my UPS baggage truck. Five minutes later, they were announcing that my corrals were opening. I got to my corral with about 10 minutes to spare, before they closed it. It was one hour before the start. Volunteers had us move forward. The corrals were closed, but I could see a crowd of late arrivals trying to push their way passed three female security volunteers. Some runners finally broke through. I felt sorry for the volunteers.

Twenty minutes before the race, I took off one of my sweatshirts and try to throw it on top of one of the buses. It didn't quite make it and landed on someone's head. Oops! Sorry! They're showing the professionals on a big video screen. Everyone cheers for Haile and Meb. I eat my first GU. The cannon goes off. We start running. It's nice to be moving. I take off my second sweatshirt and toss it.

Almost perfect weather. I was worried about staying warm during the almost 3 hours I would have to wait before the start of the race. It turned out to be fine. As always, the crowds were amazing!

I started struggling a little when I got to the Bronx. Something is up with my calf muscle. It got really tight, and I thought it was going to cramp up. I started having visions of my 2008 marathon where I did a LOT of walking. But I managed to continue running even though I had to slow down quite a bit in the last 3 miles.

Mile Splits
Mile 1 8:30 (Damn! It's windy on the Verrazano, and I hope all those guys aren't peeing against the wind.)
Mile 2 7:17 (Ahhh, that's more like it, instantly feel warmer after getting off the bridge. I take off my long sleeved shirt and toss it. I'm now only wearing my YMCA singlet and arm warmers.)
Mile 3 7:32 (These crowds are great! Eat my second GU.)
Mile 4 7:10 (OK, now DON'T let these crowds make me run faster. Stick to the planned pace of 7:20 - 7:26)
Mile 5 7:04 (DOH! That was too fast. I'll slow down in the next mile.)
Mile 6 7:02 (Arrrggggh! These crowds make it almost impossible for me to stick to my planned pace.)
Mile 7 7:10 (OK, that split was a little more reasonable. Maybe my original goal of finishing in 3:15 needs to be upgraded to 3:10. I'm feeling pretty good. No no no. Don't get carried away.)
Mile 8 7:17 (Great! Let's keep the pace right here.)
Mile 9 7:17 (Yes! 1/3 of the race finished, and still feeling good.)
Mile 10 7:10 (Try not to think about the fact that I still have 16 miles left.)
Mile 11 7:16 (High five a few kids.)
Mile 12 7:16 (Dammit! Having trouble getting my GU out of my back pocket.)
Mile 13 7:12 (Hit halfway in just under 1:37. If I can just run the second half in 1:33/1:34, I can hit my goal of 3:10)
Mile 14 7:19 (Passed a guy dressed up like one of the members of KISS. I will NOT let someone dressed up in a costume beat me!)
Mile 15 7:25 (Uh oh, the bridge looms. It looks steeper than all the other times I've practiced on it. Bring it on! I love hills.)
Mile 16 7:22 (I can hear the crowds in Manhattan, and I can't even see them yet. I'm getting goosebumps.)
Mile 17 7:15 (The Niketown cheering section! Woo hoo!!! Wouldn't have noticed them if it weren't for Lex leaning way over the barricade.)
Mile 18 7:06 (Uh oh, starting to feel some tightness in my calf.)
Mile 19 7:21 (Know Kenley will be around here, so let me try to keep up my pace.)
Mile 20 7:38 (OK. Passed Kenley. Now I can slow down. But didn't want to slow down THAT much! Hmmm...can't seem to see myself on the big screen video.
Mile 21 7:42 (Taiko drummers. Cool! Forget about 3:10 finish. Let's go back to original goal of 3:15)
Mile 22 7:35 (I think I can make it to the finish without cramping.)
Mile 23 7:38 (See some guys from Niketown, and they are VERY vocal! And I think DJ was around here too! Thank you for being there! Maybe I can manage 7:30s the rest of the way. It's only 3 more miles.)
Mile 24 8:25 (7:30s is NOT going to happen. I need to remind myself why I do this. Let's modify the goal again. 3:15 is not going to happen. Let me focus on NOT walking, and maybe I can still make 3:20 and qualify for Boston. I think I see Alex on this mile. He's cheering loudly. I can do this!)
Mile 25 8:15 (I'm in trouble. Every step is painful. Was that Bernie and Maciej??? I'm embarrassed at how slow I must look to them. But 3:20 is definitely in reach.)
Mile 26 8:28 (I try to exaggerate my arm swing to generate some speed. Observers must be thinking, "That guy is swinging his arms a lot, but he isn't getting anywhere." I think a couple of hundred runners pass me on this mile, but I'm still running! 800 yards to go. I'm going make it. 400 yards to go!)
Mile 0.2 1:57 (200 yards to go, and Taegin blows by me like I'm standing still. Now that's a marathoner! She is awesome!!! I cross the finish line, stop my watch, and feel a sense of relief.)

Unofficial finishing time: 3 hours 16 minutes 38 seconds. Qualified for Boston 2012.

I have to walk a mile just to get my bag and walk out of Central Park. I catch up to Taegin, we share marathon stories. Then I walk another mile back to the West Side Y, to meet up with friends. Along the way, many strangers congratulate me. Makes me feel good even though I didn't hit my goal of 3:15. Despite the calf problems, I feel better after this race than any other marathon I've finished. I feel good enough to go out and get something to eat. Now I'm ready for a hot bath and some sleep. Next year, I think I'll just watch the marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment