Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thursday Night at the Races


Today: 2.5 miles
Week: 14.5 miles
Workout: 1500 meter race, 800 meter race, 10-person 10K relay.

I fell asleep and got to the Armory just as they were calling for the men's 1500. I didn't have any time to warm up. My goal was to run 38-second laps (200m per lap). It didn't quite happen. Although, I did manage a 37-second last lap. My unofficial time was 4:49. I stumbled going into the homestretch and got passed by two guys. Argggghhhhh!

I only planned to run the 1500m. But since I paid $15 to register, I figured I may as well run another race and get my money's worth. So I jumped into the 800m. I ran 75 seconds for the first 400m, and 72 seconds for the second 400m, to finish in and unofficial 2:27.

After the 800m, I was going to stick around to watch the 10-person 10K relay. Each person runs 5 separate 200m legs. While I was sitting in the infield, a guy from the Van Cortlandt Track Club asked if I wanted to run on their team. I joined their team, and ran the second leg. I figured it would be like running an interval workout, five 200m intervals. But it was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. My legs were already tightening up after my second 200m. You would think that there would be a decent break waiting for the 9 members of your team to finish their 200m legs, but by the time I caught my breath it was already time to do my next leg. Still, it was a fun race.

No comments:

Post a Comment