Sunday, June 6, 2010

Stadium Slugfest


This has nothing to do with running, but last night I attended the Cotto-Foreman fight at Yankee Stadium. Not only was it my first boxing match, it was the first boxing match held at Yankee Stadium since 1976.

I saw Spike Lee walk by while I was waiting outside the stadium. Manny Pacquiao was in attendance. Dale Davis, the former Indiana Pacers player, was seated a few rows behind me. A guy from the Sopranos also walked by me while I was getting some food.

Before the fight began, I was a little nervous because I was sitting next to some Foreman supporters who were holding up a HUGE Israeli flag. I was concerned that Cotto supporters in the upper deck might start throwing objects at them and accidentally hit me.

The crowd was pro-Cotto. Yuri Foreman showed a lot of heart. He continued to fight even though he injured his knee in the 7th round and was clearly in pain. He even continued to fight after his cornerman threw in the towel, and the referee ordered the fight to continue. Cotto finally ended it in the 9th with a shot to Foreman's body.

No comments:

Post a Comment