Sunday, March 31, 2013

Last (Only?) Long Run Before Boston

Today was pretty much my last opportunity to do a long run before the Boston Marathon.  Last night, I was actually looking forward to the run for a couple of reasons.  Reason #1: I was going to be running farther than any training run I've done this year.  (Kind of sad actually.)  Reason #2: I was going to be doing the entire run by myself, which I rarely do these days.  

The run went rather well, except for the pit stop I had to make after 4 miles.  Last night's sushi wasn't sitting well in my stomach.  I basically did about 6 miles in the the Washington Heights/Inwood Hill Park area.  Then I went from the Hudson River bike path down to 59th Street.  From there, I went into Central Park and did the 5-mile loop.  

I had originally planned on running all the way to Battery Park and up the east side of Manhattan if I felt good.  But have I mentioned that I hate running in straight lines?  It always makes the run seem longer than it really is.  

I'm still not dead set on a goal for Boston.  When I first knew I was going to run Boston, I had planned on trying to run a 3:05.  But then I got injured and wasn't able to train properly.  As of today, I would say my goals look something like this:

Safe goal:  3:30
Modest goal: 3:25 (would qualify me for next year's Boston, not that I want to run another marathon.)
Reach goal: 3:15.  (Weather would have to be perfect.  I would have to feel great.)

I'm going to save my PR attempt for Chicago in October.  Hopefully, I'll be done with "racing" marathons after Chicago.  

No comments:

Post a Comment