Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Boston Panic???

I've never been one to panic, but maybe now is the time to start.  Let's recap the last 5 months.  In November I decided to run the Knickerbocker 60K.  I finished but proceeded to injure my knee.  I spent 2 weeks trying to run on it, 4 weeks staying of it, and another 2 weeks gingerly getting back into running.  By mid-January, I thought I had gotten past the injury.  It never felt 100%, but I was able to increase my mileage through February and March.

Team RunNYC fluid station.  Pic by Teresa DeVera

I ran the NYC Half Marathon a couple of weekends ago.  The race went surprisingly well.  I was hoping for a sub-1:28 and ended up running 1:25:08.  The problem was that I seemed to have aggravated my knee injury.  It was bothering me all last week.  That was frustrating because I was planning on doing one of my few long runs this past weekend.  (The longest runs I've done since that 60K were a couple of 15 milers a few weeks ago.)

So now I've come to a crossroads.  Should I still try to do a long (18 to 20 miles) run before Boston, which is only 3 weeks away?  I've already decided that there is no way I try to PR Boston.  Yet, I was still holding out hope that I could re-qualify for next year's Boston by running sub-3:15.  But, now, even that seems a bit optimistic.  

I've decided to try a little voo doo for my knee.  




No comments:

Post a Comment