Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Reach the Beach Relay




202.89 miles later, we've reached the beach

Night running is the BEST!

Kevin on the final leg, #36.

Benny & Me waiting the arrival of Leg #30.  We didn't know it
at the moment, but we were at the wrong place.  DOH!!!

36 legs. 202.89 miles. 11 people.  25 hours 46 minutes 35 seconds. 47th place out of 425 teams.  Teammates: Benny, Bruno, Margot, Mark, Lou, Kendall, Huw, Kevin, Stacy, and Michelle.  

Those are the facts, but they don't come close to telling the whole story. To begin, we didn't have a full team of 12 runners, so three of us, Benny, Bruno, and I had to run 4 legs instead of 3.  My first leg was leg #2, and it was 8.96 miles and hilly.  I thought I began conservatively.  I let two guys run a bit ahead of me.  I passed both of them within the first two miles but then realized I was running too fast, especially given the heat (80 degrees) and I had not come to the hills yet.  I had to slow down drastically when I came to the hills.  One of the guys I had passed earlier went by me with a couple miles left in the leg.  I was very glad to finish this leg.  I ran a respectable 6:39/mile.

My second leg was Leg #13.  It was 3.91 miles and took place at night.  One interesting aspect of this leg was that I ran the same leg back in 2009.  However, they could not have been more different.  In 2009, I don't remember seeing any other runners, except maybe, right at the beginning.  This time, I saw plenty of people, and it seemed like it was better lit.  I ended up doing a 6:08/mile pace for this leg.  

My third leg was Leg #24.  It was 6.87 miles and was damp and a little hilly.  I passed a lot of people on this leg.  I was fortunate to catch up to and run with a guy who had passed me early in the leg.  We ran together for the second half of the leg.  It made for a fast leg.  I ran 6:31/mile for this leg and passed 26 runners.  

My last leg was leg #35, the second to the last leg of the entire race.  It was 3.41 miles long.  I ran at 6:06/mile.  It was mostly downhill and once again, I passed a large number of people.  As I approached the end of the leg, I noticed that the person who I was supposed to hand off to was not there yet.  I assumed it was traffic.  But, just as I entered the relay exchange area, I saw Kevin running towards me. Crisis averted.  

I wish I had more time to write about the race, but I have work to do.  Hopefully, I'll get to do this race again someday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment